Chicago is one of the most densely populated areas in the country and home to numerous roads that serves as arteries for a large transportation network. The high number of motorists occupying the roads throughout the state can make it more dangerous for motorcyclists, who are often the victims of accidents that occur due to other drivers’ lack of attention or failure to provide motorcyclists with the same respect that is given to other drivers. The Chicago motorcycle injury attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers specialize in helping those who have been injured in motorcycle accidents recover the compensation they are entitled to for the cost of their medical expenses, lost wages and other costs linked to their accidents.
The Different Causes and Types of Motorcycle Accidents
Motorcycles may take up less physical space as cars and trucks on the road, but they are afforded the right to the same amount of space. Other drivers have the tendency to follow motorcycles too closely or fail to give them the space they need to operate safely, and this can be the cause of an accident or make it more difficult for a motorcyclist to avoid an accident. Some of the causes and forms of accidents can include the following.
- Tailgating or following too closely. Drivers always need to place adequate distance between themselves and motorcyclists. Motorcycles can easily become caught between tight spaces and provide little protection to riders, so backing off of a motorcyclist can save a life.
- Reckless driving or road rage. Drivers may act aggressively around motorcyclists if they feel the cyclist is weaving, has cut them off or done something else to draw their ire. In some cases, the motorcyclist himself may be at fault for riding recklessly or provoking others one the road. In any case, aggressive driving only leads to serious accidents that can kill one or more of the people involved or leave victims with injuries that will forever impact their quality of living.
- Accidents at intersections. Motorcyclists often become victims when vehicles turn into their paths. Left turns are the most dangerous because some drivers may struggle with depth perception and turn into the way of an oncoming motorcyclist while thinking they have enough time and space to make it through the intersection.
- Driver distraction. Technology is becoming the source of distraction for more and more drivers every year and data is showing that driver distraction has a role in most accidents now. Making sure that you are not distracted by your phone or other devices can reduce your chances of being in an accident.
- Aside from driver distraction, driving at excessive speeds is one of the most common causes of auto and motorcycle accidents. Increased speeds also result in more serious injuries. Following the speed limit could save a life.
- The influence of drugs or alcohol. Controlled substances slow reaction times and impact the decision making ability of drivers. Not all drugs that impact driving are controlled substances, however and you should always be aware of how over the counter treatments such as cough syrup and allergy medicine affects you before driving.
- Driver fatigue. When drivers have been driving for long periods of time, or when they are excessively fatigued, their reaction time and decision making ability mimics that of those who are impaired due to the influence of drugs or alcohol. This can increase their risk of causing an accident, which can prove deadly for any motorcyclist in their path.
Types of Injuries
Our Chicago motorcycle accident lawyers often encounter very serious injuries that force victims to undergo a long and painful recovery process or which leave them with permanent disabilities. These injuries can result in the need for extended medical care that comes with prohibitive costs. Victims of motorcycle accidents that were the fault of another driver should not be forced to shoulder the cost of their treatment for serious injuries that can include the following.
- Road Rash
- Traumatic Brain Injuries
- Temporary or Permanent Paralysis
One of the most common questions that our Chicago motorcycle accident lawyers receive is how we determine the value of each case. We rely on experts in the medical field, accident reconstruction and economics to help establish fault and provide an accurate assessment on the cost of future care, which is then added to the cost of the care you have already received. You are also entitled to compensation for any wages that you have lost due to an inability to return to work, the value of your pain and suffering and a diminished quality of living, should you suffer from a permanent disability.
For more information, you can contact Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers and schedule a risk free consultation with an attorney who can gather all of the information needed to make a proper evaluation of your case and review your legal options with you in the setting of your choice. Our award winning Chicago motorcycle injury attorneys have extensive knowledge of Illinois traffic tort law and a track record of securing the maximum amount of compensation allowed under law on behalf of our clients. If for any reason we are unable to collect on your behalf, our services will come at no cost to you.