Many motorcycle accidents leading to serious injury and death are caused by defective parts and components on the motorcycle. In fact, the Chicago personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers have handled many product liability cases caused by malfunctioning or defective motorcycle parts. In some cases, the design flaw or manufacturing defect is not revealed until the motorcyclist is traveling at a high rate of speed.
The most challenging components of filing a claim for compensation involves determining exactly how the accident occurred or what caused the event to happen. Quite often, insurance adjusters and crash investigators will jump to the assumption that the only feasible explanation of the accident was rider or motorist negligence. Our law firm has investigated numerous serious injury motorcycle accidents involving defective parts that occurred with no warning to the biker or passenger.
Statistics maintained by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) revealed that in 2012 more than 90,000 motorcyclists suffered injuries in collisions. While many of these accidents involved driver distraction, negligence, recklessness and inattention, a substantial amount of collisions were caused by defective motorcycle parts. Many of these bikers and passengers suffer catastrophic injury and death. Fortunately, Illinois provides legal financial recourse for injured parties who have been hurt by defective products.
Design and Manufacturing Problems
To obtain financial compensation from all parties responsible for the defective motorcycle accident, the victim must file a product liability claim. However, this requires determining what parties are directly or indirectly at fault for the accident. The motorcycle crash might have been caused by a mistake during the manufacturing process, during the shipping and delivery process, or while in storage or on display at the dealership.
However, the defect may have occurred during the design and development process. As an example, a dangerous design might create a wheel to wobble at a high rate of speed or a component to malfunction due to excessive vibration.
Many motorcycle manufacturers and distributors have been involved in safety recalls that are either initiated by the motorcycle manufacturer or through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA). Typically, these recalls involve defective components, malfunctioning parts or dangerous design that require a repair, replacement or repurchase of the motorcycle.
Common Defective Motorcycle Problems
Defective or dangerous motorcycle components and parts can easily cause the biker to lose control of the vehicle resulting in an accident. The most common types of defects that cause serious accidents with injuries involve:
- Faulty Tires – Many motorcycle accidents involve faulty tires with a tire tread that separates or the sidewall rips apart, usually at a high rate of speed. These types of defects are extremely dangerous to the biker and passenger.
- Malfunctioning Brakes – Many motorcyclists enjoy the thrill of highway driving that can turn into a catastrophic event if the biker is unable to slow down or stop to avoid a crash. A personal injury attorney may be able to determine if the malfunctioning braking system was the result of a defective design, manufacturing error or a mistake by the mechanic who last worked on the system.
- Fuel System Defects – A leaky fuel system caused by rust, faulty parts or defective design can cause the bike to ignite, leading to serious burns to the operator and passenger.
- Manufacturing Errors – Many motorcycle accidents occur due to poorly manufactured motorcycle components and parts. Typically, these mistakes are not revealed until someone is seriously injured or killed in a bike crash.
- Dangerous Designs – Any defect in the design of a motorcycle that causes the bike to handle poorly under specific conditions could directly or indirectly cause an accident to occur.
If you have been involved in a serious crash with extensive damage to your bike or injuries to yourself and passenger, you likely want to have the motorcycle fixed as quickly as possible. However, to ensure a successful conclusion of a product liability financial compensation case it is important to preserve the evidence.
Our Chicago motorcycle accident product liability attorneys have immediate access to qualified inspectors who can determine if a design defect or faulty part contributed to your accident. This evidence can be used when filing a compensatory product liability claim for compensation or presenting the case at trial. An inspector may determine that the cause of the accident involved defects or faulty components such as the brake system, steering mechanism, vehicle light, tires, fuel system, throttle, helmet goggles/visors, faulty transmissions or foot pedals.
Hiring an Attorney
The Chicago personal injury attorneys at Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers are available to assist you in obtaining the highest financial recovery possible. Our law firm can have your motorcycle inspected by a trusted expert and build a case for legal action against all parties responsible for your damages. We can ensure that motorcycle manufacturers, distributors, shippers and retailers are held legally accountable for the defective products they manufacture, market and sell.
We encourage you to call our Illinois motorcycle crash law firm today at (888) 424-5757 to schedule your comprehensive, free consultation. Our attorneys have successfully resolved many vehicle products liability claims and lawsuits for our clients. We accept all motorcycle accident cases through contingency fee arrangements. This means you are provided immediate legal representation with no upfront fees required. We are only paid for our legal services once we have negotiated your out-of-court settlement or win your case at trial.