The Joliet motorcycle accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers are dedicated to educating the public on issues that affect the safety of motorcyclists in an effort to make the roads a safer place for them to travel. Motorcycle collisions can result in severe injuries that leave the victims’ lives changed forever and motorcyclists are at an elevated risk of being involved in fatal crashes due to the limited protection available for them and their riders. When these injuries are the result of a preventable accident, we protect the right of victims to recover compensation from at fault drivers for the value of their medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Recent Joliet Motorcycle Deaths Draw Attention to Safety
Joliet has witnessed several tragic motorcycle accidents in recent years that have many motorcyclists concerned for their safety on the roads. The responsibility for ensuring that the roads are a safe place for everyone belongs to everyone, and this includes the motorcyclists themselves. In July of 2013, a woman was killed in a motorcycle accident because she was riding with a motorcyclist who lost control of the bike they were riding after colliding with a truck that was attempted to merge onto I-80. The woman, 22 year old Krystina Raddatz, was declared dead at the scene of the accident while the motorcycle’s driver was rushed to the hospital.
The next year, in September of 2014, a motorcyclist and his rider were killed when he lost control of his motorcycle and crashed into a building near the intersection of Barney Drive and Glenwood Avenue. Neither of the victims were wearing helmets. The incidents are haunting reminders of the responsibility that motorcyclists have to their passengers and how a minor error in judgement can have harrowing consequences.
Motorcycle Rider Programs Help Motorcyclists of All Skill Levels
Regardless of whether you are a novice who has just received a Class M license or an experienced veteran, motorcycle rider programs can help you ride safely and responsibly by helping you develop skills and habits that may be useful when you find yourself in a potentially dangerous situation. The University of Illinois offers numerous motorcycle rider programs for riders of varying skill levels and has named Joliet Junior College as one of its training sites for its basic and intermediate rider courses. More advanced courses are also available through other colleges located throughout the greater Chicago area.
For general program questions and to find out when upcoming classes are scheduled to take place, call 1-800-252-3348.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The first step that our Joliet motorcycle injury lawyers take when evaluating a case is to determine the exact cause of the accident and who is at fault. There are many possible causes of accidents that range from mechanical failure to driver distraction to other factors such as speeding or fatigue. Here are the most common causes of accidents that we’ve encountered.
- The driver of one or more vehicles is distracted. An epidemic of distracted driving accidents is hitting our country as more drivers attempt to drive while texting, talking or programming other electronic devices. Distraction can now be linked to a majority of auto accidents.
- One or more of the drivers is speeding. In addition to being a common cause of accidents, speeding can increase the severity of injuries. Motorcyclists are afforded minimal protection as it is, so high speed collisions place them at even greater risk of debilitating or fatal injuries.
- A driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Drugs and alcohol alter the driver’s perception of the road ahead and reduce reaction time, making it much more difficult to notice the presence of motorcyclists and to avoid collisions when following too closely.
- The motorcyclist is acting irresponsibly. Not all of the victims in motorcycle accidents are the driver of the motorcycle. When a motorcyclist acts recklessly while transporting a passenger, he or she is placing that passenger in harm’s way and should be held accountable if the passenger is harmed in any way due to his or her actions.
- Motorists fail to notice motorcyclists at intersections. Accidents at intersections are more common than people realize and left turns are responsible for many severe injuries and fatalities.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers can connect you with the resources you need to move forward with your life. Our comprehensive network of medical specialists, social workers and economists can provide the medical treatment that you need and deserve while providing our legal team the testimony required to accurately assess the value of your case and secure the maximum amount of compensation possible for your injuries.
Contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our award winning Joliet motorcycle accident attorneys. We will collect the information we need to get to work building your case and let you know what legal options and avenues are available so that you can make informed decisions concerning how to proceed. Our attorneys will never demand payment upfront and you are assured that our services will be free of charge if we are unable to secure compensation on your behalf.
For more information on other Illinois cities we serve and the applicable laws, please visit:
Aurora Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Elgin Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Naperville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Peoria Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Rockford Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Springfield Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Waukegan Motorcycle Accident Lawyers