The Waukegan motorcycle accident attorneys of Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers represent the needs and interests of those who have been injured in preventable accidents. Motorcycles are among the most dangerous vehicles to operate due to the limited amount of protection afforded riders and the tendency of motorists to refuse to grant motorcyclists the space they are entitled to occupy on the road. Whenever a driver’s negligent or reckless behavior harms others, it is the right of victims to seek compensation for the damages caused, which can include medical bills, lost wages, out of pocket expenses and pain and suffering.
Teen Death in Motorcycle Accident Sparks Concern
On October 15, 2015, a high school senior attending Zion-Benton Township High School died in a motorcycle accident in Waukegan that took place on Jackson Street; as he was headed southbound toward Washington Street. Anthony Young collided with two vehicles that were headed the opposite direction and died of his injuries. Young had aspirations of training to become a firefighter after his high school graduation.
The accident has some residents questioning whether teenagers should be allowed to have Class M drivers’ licenses, which permit them to operate motorcycles and engine propelled scooters. Inexperience plays a large role in accidents involving teenagers and additional training may have provided the skills and strategies needed to prevent this fatality.
Common Causes of Motorcycle Accidents
The first step that our Waukegan motorcycle injury lawyers take when taking on a new case is to perform a thorough investigation to understand exactly what happened at the scene of the accident. This allows us to establish who was at fault for the accident and acquire the evidence needed to present a solid case before the court. Understanding common causes of motorcycle accidents can also help riders avoid accidents by increasing their awareness to the potential hazards they may encounter on the road. Following are some of the most common causes of motorcycle crashes.
- Driving at excessive speeds. Exceeding the speed limit doesn’t just increase your risk of being in an accident. It also increases the severity of the injuries suffered by all parties involved.
- The distraction of technological devices. Studies have shown that the number of accidents and fatalities involving distracted drivers has risen sharply in recent years and this is due to increased texting and talking while driving. Putting your phone and other devices away while driving can save a life.
- Inexperienced drivers. Teenagers are more likely to be in accidents simply because they do not have as much driving experience as those who have been on the road for longer. They are also more likely to make poor decisions or to show off to others.
- Aggressive driving or road rage. Many drivers on the road react negatively to others for a variety of reasons and their aggressive behavior puts everyone around them at risk. When road rage leads to the injury or death of another person, the responsible driver needs to be held accountable for his or her actions.
Injuries Suffered in Motorcycle Crashes
Motorcycle injuries are much more severe due to the exposure that riders have to the world around them. Even the most advanced personal protection equipment only goes so far in protecting them in accidents that involve cars and large trucks. The most common injuries include the following.
- Fractures and shattered bones. It is not uncommon for motorcyclists to suffer multiple fractures during an accident, especially when they are thrown from their bikes or caught between moving objects.
- Traumatic brain injuries. Blows to the head can create micro tears inside of the brain and these injuries lead to the impairment of cognitive functions later on in life. It is important to always check for a TBI, even if you feel okay.
- Road rash. This condition refers to injuries that are caused by friction burns that occur when the victim’s skin is dragged along the pavement. Ranging in severity, these injuries can cause deep tissue damage and pose the risk of infection when contaminated with debris.
- Injuries to the neck, back and spine can result in temporary or permanent paralysis. The cost of caring for a loved one who has been paralyzed can easily exceed millions of dollars over his or her lifetime.
Rosenfeld Injury Lawyers is an award winning personal injury law firm that has helped thousands of clients recover the compensation they are entitled to following an accident that was the result of another person’s poor decisions. If you’ve been injured in an accident, contact us today to arrange a free consultation with one of our qualified and experienced Waukegan motorcycle accident attorneys so that we can review your legal options and answer any questions you might have about the legal process. Since our attorneys work on a contingency fee basis, you are guaranteed to never need to provide an attorney’s fee unless we are able to secure compensation on your behalf.
For more information on other Illinois cities we serve and the applicable laws, please visit:
Aurora Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Elgin Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Joliet Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Naperville Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Peoria Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Rockford Motorcycle Accident Lawyers
Springfield Motorcycle Accident Lawyers